Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tapioca Pudding with Tropical Fruits


I'd never tried Tapioca before and since I'd seen it in most of the Asian shops I've been into recently, I thought it was time to give it a try. This is a recipe I took from Surfing The Menu Again - this is one of Ben O'Donoghue's recipes. I'd always thought this stuff looked kind of like Tadpole Eggs, but trust me if you haven't tried Tapioca before give this recipe a go, it's sweet and has a beautiful after taste of vanilla, the best thing I can liken it to is Rice Pudding.

Ingredients:

300g Tapioca
600ml Water
500ml Pouring Cream
500ml Milk
2 Vanilla Pods, split length ways
10 Egg Yolks
200g Caster Sugar
Tropical Fruit, eg Mangoes, Passionfruit, Kiwifruit, Bananas, Lychees

Method:

Place the Tapioca in a mixing bowl, add the water and set aside in a warm place for one hour. It will swell a little. Drain and rinse thoroughly.

Combine the cream, milk and vanilla pods in a saucepan over medium to high heat. Bring just to the boil and add the Tapioca. Reduce the heat slightly and cook for about 15 mins or until the Tapioca is soft and transparent and the mixture is thick.

Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar together until combined. Add to the Tapioca and stir for 5 mins over a low heat. Allow to cool until slightly above room temperature.

Served topped with tropical fruit.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum - that looks absolutely divine. My heart skipped a beat at the half litre of cream though ;-)

How many servings does this make approximately?

Adski said...

Hey Mellie,
whoops, forgot to include that info! It actually serves 8. When I made it I halved it and ate the leftovers topped with some extra milk and quickly nuked in the microwave over the next couple of nights. It is delicious!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that. I thought it would probably make a fair bit, making the half litre of cream appear not so bad ;-)

BTW - I have recently changed my blog address. You can now find me at www.tummyrumbles.com. If you have a moment would you mind updating your blogroll link?

Thanks!