Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bella Vedere

874 Maroondah Hwy, Coldstream, VIC 3770, Phone 5962-6161
Wed - Sun: Breakfast from 8:30am and Lunch from 12 noon
Fri - Sat: Dinner (bookings essential)


This is officially the first review that I've written where I haven't included a photo of the food that I've eaten. I have however included photos of the beautiful surroundings that is Bella Vedere. Hopefully by looking at these photo's you can get an idea of the type of food these guys would serve at a place like this.


Bella Vedere is located along the Maroondah Hwy in Coldstream, about 5 minutes away from Healesville. It's located in a renovated Cellar Door of a winery, which is probably about one of the most beautiful places I have had the opportunity to eat.
As you walk into the restaurant, you pass tables and shelves of fresh bread and pastries baked on site at their own bakery, which look simply amazing! We also saw a large bookshelf stacked with Kennedy and Wilson Easter eggs. Buy your family one of these each this Easter and you'll be paying off your credit card until next Easter!


The restaurant itself is exactly like every picture I've ever imagined of a country kitchen. The big breakfast table sits between big windows on one side, look out over the mountains and the other side is the kitchen, which is completely open. You can see right into the kitchen and watch the chef's doing their thing. The kitchen was also surrounded with piles of fantastic looking eggs, chillies, tomatoes and various other fresh goodies for the chefs to use. The breakfast table itself had two huge sunflowers lying on it, minus their petals. Oh so country. If you look at the photo of the kitchen, you can see how close I was to the chefs and they could see me perfectly, which is why I kind of felt weird taking photos of the food. Especially since I just bought my new camera that makes me look like I work for a newspaper!

The wait staff, were very professional and snazzy looking in their uniforms with aprons on. I did find that they were a little over-professional though for a nice little country place like this, they could have definately relaxed a little, but at the same time, it was nice to have very professional breakfast service, which I find is very rare, especially in the city.

For breakfast I ordered poached eggs with sourdough and roasted tomato and freshly squeezed OJ. The eggs arrived plain on a white plate. Nothing special to look at, but let me tell you- I have never ever had a more perfect breakfast. So simple - bread, eggs and tomato, but so well done! The eggs were perfectly poached and exploded with a burst of yolk when prodded with my knife. The tomato not overly roasted and perfectly soft and served on the most delicious bread - cut the perfect thickness. Season all this with some Murray River Sea Salt and you have the most perfect breakfast! Sure you might have to drive 50 mins out of Melbourne, but believe me, it's worth it.

The breakfast menu isn't huge and there isn't anything that's particularly fancy on it, but Bella Vedere really proves the point that if you use the best and freshest produce and do the right things to it, you will get the best final product possible.

So if you're heading out to the Yarra Valley or even if you're not - you should go out of your way to do breakfast here... I challenge you to find a nicer place to have breakfast within an hour of Melbourne that does food as good as this!

9.5/10
Bella Vedere loses a half a point, simply because the staff could have been a tad friendlier and a tad less professional.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's something about the Yarra Valley, it's one of the most beautiful places.

One of my most memorable dinners was at DeBortoli early one summer, with the sun going down over golden fields.

Adski said...

I absolutely love the place! If I could find a good job, especially something to do with food around the Healesville area, I would move there in a second!